The library was opened by the initiative of N.E. Brandenburg and D.P. Strukov in 1876. A serious donation was made by the Main Artillery Administration that delivered 185 rare Russian and foreign books on history of artillery and military engineering of the late 18th – early 19th century. From the very beginning the library stock was completed strictly in accordance with the Museum type.
In 1899, the collection on history of Russian regiments was started. At present the regimental stories number in almost a thousand copies and being completed.
In 1997, the stock of rare books was completed. Now it is estimated at 701 publications.